Friday, May 01, 2009

The trials and tribulations of having your dad be your soccer coach

Yes, Dad is my soccer coach this year in the 4-and-under league. There is no keeping score and no winner/loser. I still haven't told my team that Dad never played soccer a day in his life and was the last one picked for kickball teams in Mrs. Booth's 3rd-grade class. What's that old saying? "Those who can't do, teach." Oh well.

He's okay in that we always have scooby snacks and juice after each practice. He even brought ink hand stamps of stars and happy faces for after the game. He definitely employs a "feel good" approach. I don't know though. He made me sit out the whole first quarter because I was the coach's son and he doesn't want to be accused of playing me all the time. But I'm pretty good this year. You couldn't get me out on the field last year. This year, I want to play and even scored a goal in the three quarters that I did get to play.

In this pic Dad is giving us some strategy during practice: "Just chase the ball and kick it!"

No comments: